Company: American Water
Posted on: January 17, 2020
Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most
geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater
utility company. With headquarters in Camden, NJ, the company
employs over 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated
and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related
services to an estimated 15 million people in 46 states. To learn
more about American Water and additional career opportunities,
visit www.amwater.com.Primary RoleResponsible for the compilation
and analysis of accounting/financial information for the American
Water subsidiaries as assigned, and the maintenance of complete and
accurate subsidiary general ledgers. Assists in the consolidation
process and provides reporting support and other services to the
External Reporting, Financial Analysis and Decision Support,
Budgeting and Internal Reporting, Tax and Rates Support/Regulatory
Operations teams.Key Accountabilities
- Prepares journal entries and assists in the facilitation of the
monthly close process.
- Analyzes financial results and variances, ensuring completeness
and accuracy of the subsidiary general ledgers.
- Performs key account analyses and reconciliations, including
the timely investigation and resolution of discrepancies and
- Provides reporting support, information and analysis to assist
in consolidation and the External Reporting teams fulfillment of
the Companys quarterly and annual SEC reporting requirements.
- Prepares quarterly and annual subsidiary financial statements
and state commission reporting requirements, ensuring compliance
with US GAAP, state-specific utility regulation, internal controls
and Company policies and practices.
- Participates in the annual audits (both the consolidated audit
and subsidiary audits) and coordination with the external
- Assists in the interpretation of rate case orders/memorandums
and other regulatory decisions and implements the appropriate
accounting for such.
- Interfaces/liaises with the Financial Analysis and Decision
Support, Budgeting and Internal Reporting, Cash/Treasury, Accounts
Payable, Call Center Operations, Regulatory and Tax teams,
providing information for accounting and reporting matters and
assistance in interpreting and analyzing financial results.
- Assists the Regulatory Services/Regulatory Operations teams in
fulfilling rate case requests and analyses for filings and/or other
reporting requirement reports.
- Assists with special projects and initiatives to optimize the
effectiveness of existing business applications, technologies and
systems and to build efficiencies/improvements into current
- Assists in the refinement and maintenance of the
accounting/financial policies, practices, internal controls and
operating procedures to ensure the integrity of the Companys
internal control structure.Knowledge/Skills
- Three to six years of relevant experience required.
- Prior public accounting, corporate and/or multi-subsidiary
company experience a strong preference.
- Prior experience working in the utility industry and knowledge
of regulatory accounting a plus.
- Knowledge and prior experience working with SAP, PowerPlant,
Hyperion, Blackline, SharePoint, Workiva a plus.
- Knowledge of U.S. GAAP and the ability to apply principles and
practices to accounting matters.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word,
PowerPoint), with a particular expertise in advanced Microsoft
Excel functionalities (i.e. pivot and look-up tables, etc.) a
- Strong written and oral communication skills with proven
ability to interact effectively with internal customers, management
and external professionals (i.e. auditors).
- Excellent analytical, systemic and problem solving skills,
including the ability to work in teams or effectively work
- Strong interpersonal skills, with an emphasis on initiative,
knowledge sharing, team building and decision
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance required.
- CPA or advanced degree preferred.
- Four to seven years experience.
- Prior corporate and/or multi-subsidiary experience
- Minimum of two (2) years experience in the utility, or
multi-company corporation industry desired.CompetenciesChampions
safetyCollaboratesCultivates innovationCustomer obsessedDrives
- Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing*
- American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment
Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for
employees and applicants* based on his or her age, race, color,
pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national
origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she
is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other
status protected by federal, state, and local laws.
Keywords: American Water, Camden , Accountant III, Accounting, Auditing , Camden, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!