Elementary Teacher (Immediate Start - SY 21-22)
Company: Uncommon Schools
Posted on: January 15, 2022
Uncommon Schools is a nonprofit network of high-performing, public
charter schools providing an outstanding K-12 education in
historically under-resourced communities. We have proudly built
schools that reflect our student population, with more than 60% of
our teachers and staff across our network identifying as a person
of color. Uncommon currently manages 55 schools serving more than
21,000 students in six cities: Boston, Camden, New York City,
Newark, Rochester, and Troy. We are proud that Uncommon graduates
persist in and graduate from college at five times the rate of
their peers nationally. We achieve this by offering strong
academic, co-curricular, and social-emotional learning that
prepares students for success in college and beyond.
Camden Prep currently manages four schools serving students in
grade K through 10 (growing to grade 12). We believe in strong
authentic relationships between teachers and students, supported by
effective school systems and an engaging instructional model that
enables students to flourish academically and personally. Camden
Prep is consistently the highest performing of all district or
Renaissance schools in Camden, NJ.
Uncommon Elementary School Teachers cultivate a love for learning
in every student from the very start. Our teachers and students
engage in a culturally-responsive, fast-paced, and fun learning
environment. We have built a community where teachers encourage our
core values of respect and hard work while celebrating the
uniqueness of each student and laying the academic foundations that
carry students to and through college.
- You'll co-teach and build an engaging and joyful classroom
environment that encourages mastery and empowers students to engage
in academic discourse.
- You'll teach the basic principles of mathematics.
- You'll teach reading and writing to build students' literacy
skills: phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and
- You'll teach an ELA curriculum that prioritizes meaningful
texts and topics that are interesting and relevant.
- You'll teach a Science curriculum that prioritizes knowledge of
geology, astronomy, ecology, and cycles in nature to ensure
students understand climate change and how to take care of the
- You'll teach a Social Studies curriculum that incorporates
analyses of America's diverse histories, with an emphasis on
cultural and civic awareness.
- Data Analysis
- You'll meet weekly with your principal and/or instructional
coach to analyze and respond to trends in student work samples and
- You'll learn and implement strategies to differentiate
instruction for all learners in your classroom.
- School Culture
- You'll build positive relationships with students to ensure
they feel seen, loved, and heard.
- You'll partner with students' families to ensure appropriate
resources are available to support their children's learning
- You'll engage in practice-based professional development,
mentorship, and coaching sessions.
- You'll support morning arrival, lunch duty, student assemblies,
class transitions, and after-school dismissal.
- You'll participate in weekly, school-wide meetings to foster
community, model our core values, and encourage student
- You'll partner with your grade level team to develop academic
goals and practice instructional strategies.
- A commitment to the mission of Uncommon Schools and investment
in our vision for being an anti-racist organization
- A demonstrated commitment to supporting students' social
emotional and academic development
- An enthusiasm for working with families in the best interest of
- A self-directed learner who solicits and implements feedback to
improve outcomes and achieve objectives
- Required Experience:
- A demonstrated interest in impacting K-12 students in urban
schools and communities (1-2 years experience preferred).
- Academic expertise in Elementary Education, Humanities,
English, Social Sciences, or other related fields of study.
- Prior to the start of employment, you must have a bachelor's
degree from an accredited college or university. Teacher
certification is not a prerequisite for consideration at Uncommon
Schools in the state of NJ, but you do need to meet NJ state
certification eligibility requirements (a final undergraduate or
graduate cumulative GPA of 3.0 for graduates on or after 9/1/16, or
2.75 if you graduated prior to 9/1/16). All instructional staff are
required to become certified in the state of New Jersey within a
reasonable period after beginning employment.
Uncommon Schools offers salaries commensurate with experience and a
comprehensive benefits package. All staff members receive extensive
professional development, and are equipped with a laptop computer
and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable
and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to
thrive. We are committed to building an exceptional team that
reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students.
We also strive to ensure an inclusive community by creating a space
for meaningful dialogue about issues of race and identity for our
staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire
without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national
origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran
status or disability. We also ensure that individuals with
disabilities receive all privileges and benefits associated with
employment and are provided reasonable accommodations for the
interview process and to perform core job functions.
Keywords: Uncommon Schools, Camden , Elementary Teacher (Immediate Start - SY 21-22), Education / Teaching , Camden, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!