Special Education Teacher (SY 22-23)
Company: Uncommon Schools
Posted on: June 23, 2022
Company DescriptionUncommon Schools is a nonprofit network of
high-performing, public charter schools providing an outstanding
K-12 education in historically under-resourced communities. We have
proudly built schools that reflect our student population, with
more than 60% of our teachers and staff across our network
identifying as a person of color. Uncommon currently manages 54
schools serving more than 20,000 students in five cities: Boston,
Camden, New York City, Newark and Rochester. We are proud that
Uncommon graduates persist in and graduate from college at five
times the rate of their peers nationally. We achieve this by
offering strong academic, co-curricular, and social-emotional
learning that prepares students for success in college and
beyond.Camden Prep currently manages four schools serving students
in grades K through 10 (growing to grade 12). We believe in strong
authentic relationships between teachers and students, supported by
effective school systems and an engaging instructional model that
enables students to flourish academically and personally. Camden
Prep is consistently the highest performing of all district or
Renaissance schools in Camden, NJ.Job DescriptionUncommon Special
Education teachers are passionate about developing and monitoring
accommodations for students with special needs. Special Education
teachers advocate for students and believe that specialized
instruction and related services increase academic achievement.
Special Education teachers offer academic, emotional, and physical
support while maintaining high expectations.Responsibilities
- You'll modify, differentiate, and teach an inclusive curriculum
that emphasizes diversity.
- You'll collaborate with families and Special Education teams to
develop 504 and Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) that offer
appropriate accommodations and modifications.
- You'll create an inclusive and safe environment where students
feel empowered to become self-guided learners.
- Special Education Specific Responsibilities
- You'll collaborate with general education teachers, school
leaders, and families to analyze and respond to trends in student
work samples and assessments and ensure compliance with
Individualized Education Plans.
- You will gather academic growth data and write goals to prepare
for annual IEP meetings.
- You will teach pull-out, push-in, small group, and one-on-one
instruction and implement strategies to differentiate instruction
for all learners in your classroom.
- School Culture
- You'll build positive relationships with students to ensure
they feel seen, loved, and heard.
- You'll partner with students' families to ensure appropriate
resources are available to support their child's learning
- You'll engage in practice-based professional development,
mentorship, and coaching sessions.
- You'll participate in weekly, school-wide meetings to cultivate
community, model our core values, and encourage student
- You'll partner with your grade level team to develop academic
goals and practice instructional strategies.Qualifications
- A commitment to the mission of Uncommon Schools and investment
in our vision for being an anti-racist organization
- A demonstrated commitment to supporting students' social
emotional and academic development
- An enthusiasm for collaborating with internal and external
partners in the best interest of students
- A self-directed learner who solicits and implements feedback to
improve outcomes and achieve objectives
- Required Experience:
- A demonstrated interest in impacting K-12 students in urban
schools and communities (1-2 years experience preferred).
- Academic expertise in Special Education, the Humanities, Social
Sciences, STEM, or related fields of study.
- Prior to the start of employment, you must have a bachelor's
degree from an accredited college or university. Teacher
certification is not a prerequisite for consideration at Uncommon
Schools in the state of NJ, but you do need to meet NJ state
certification eligibility requirements (a final undergraduate or
graduate cumulative GPA of 3.0 for graduates on or after 9/1/16, or
2.75 if you graduated prior to 9/1/16). All instructional staff are
required to become certified in the state of New Jersey within a
reasonable period after beginning employment.Additional
InformationUncommon Schools offers salaries commensurate with
experience and a comprehensive benefits package. All staff members
receive extensive professional development, and are equipped with a
laptop computer and all necessary supplies.Uncommon believes in the
importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization
that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to
building an exceptional team that reflects the diverse backgrounds
and experiences of our students. We also strive to ensure an
inclusive community by creating a space for meaningful dialogue
about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an
equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race,
religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual
orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We also
ensure that individuals with disabilities receive all privileges
and benefits associated with employment and are provided reasonable
accommodations for the interview process and to perform core job
Keywords: Uncommon Schools, Camden , Special Education Teacher (SY 22-23), Education / Teaching , Camden, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!