Company: Uncommon Schools
Posted on: March 17, 2019
Company DescriptionUncommon Schools is a non-profit network of 53 outstanding public charter schools in grades K-12 across New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Our mission is to start and manage outstanding urban public charter schools that close the achievement gap and prepare students from low-income backgrounds for success in college and beyond. We are accomplishing that mission every day, with a college graduation rate that is well above the national average and thousands of stories of our students and alumni achieving their dreams.Job DescriptionThe Apprentice Teacher position provides a unique opportunity for talented individuals with limited or no teaching experience to explore the field of education and to gain hands-on practice and the training necessary to become a successful full-time classroom teacher. Apprentice Teachers will have an opportunity to observe best practices in classroom instruction and education reform from experienced teachers and school leaders at a leading charter management organization in New York City. Apprentice Teachers observe and learn from Master Teachers, co-teach with teacher-leaders, provide in-house substitute teaching coverage for teachers, and support teachers with tutoring, grading, and individual or small group student instruction. Depending on school needs and candidate background, Apprentice Teachers may also teach their own class of students, allowing for direct teaching experience within a more limited teaching load. Apprentice Teachers will also assist with a variety of work inside and outside of the classroom, including teaching Enrichment classes, organizing student events, and developing mentoring relationships with students. Through full participation in summer and school-year professional development, as well as regular meetings with an instructional coach, Apprentice Teachers will have many opportunities to gain the experience and support necessary to develop their teaching skills. By the end of the year, Apprentice Teachers will be very strong candidates for full-time teaching positions.
- Teach classes on behalf of Deans and teacher-leaders who are observing other teachers;
- Provide substitute teaching coverage for teachers within the school;
- Potentially teach one class or small groups of students;
- Periodically plan and deliver instruction, gradually taking on more responsibility throughout the year;
- Develop teaching skills to potentially become a full-time teacher at the school;
- Support students by providing one-on-one and small group tutoring daily, and small group intervention and student support;
- Observe Master Teachers in order to improve instructional techniques and classroom management;
- Meet regularly with a coach to implement feedback on lessons and instruction;
- Teach or help coordinate an Enrichment class;
- Assist teachers with instruction, assessments, grading, and other classroom responsibilities;
As appropriate, perform all duties expected of classroom teachers, including but not limited to:
- Implementing curricula and activities to meet academic standards;
- Designing and implementing assessments that measure progress towards academic standards;
- Using assessment data to refine curriculum and inform instructional practices;
- Participating in collaborative curriculum development, grade-level activities, and school-wide functions, events, and trips;
- Providing consistent rewards and/or consequences for student behavior;
- Serving as an advisor to a small group of students;
- Helping to co-lead advisory/homeroom in the morning and afternoon;
- Supervising students during transitions, breakfast, lunch and afterschool;
- Being accountable for students mastery of academic standards;
- Communicating effectively with students, families, and colleagues;
- Participating in an annual three-week staff orientation and training.
- Drive to improve the minds and lives of students in and out of the classroom
- Evidence of self-motivation, willingness to be a team player, and has a strong sense of personal responsibility;
- Ideal candidates are hard-working, urgent, energetic, and are willing to learn and adapt;
- Is extremely reflective and constantly wants to improve;
- is flexible and enjoys dealing with unpredictability;
- Strong time management skills; ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and meet tight deadlines;
- A strong candidate will possess strong organizational skills, communication skills (particularly with children), and problem solving skills;
- Interest in performing a critical support role and the ability to excel in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, results-oriented environment;
- Prior experience working in schools and/or urban communities is preferred but not required;
- Relentless commitment to mission of educating urban students. Belief in and alignment with Uncommons core beliefs and educational philosophy is non-negotiable.
EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND AND WORK EXPERIENCE
Bachelors degree is required. A background in education is not required, though candidates should show a demonstrated passion for working with K-12 students.Additional InformationUncommon Schools offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Aside from extensive professional development, all our staff members are equipped with a laptop computer, email, and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through creating a space for important dialogue about issues of race and identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Keywords: Uncommon Schools, Camden , Apprentice Teacher, Education / Teaching , Camden, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!