External Affairs Manager
Company: Uncommon Schools
Posted on: February 16, 2020
Company DescriptionUncommon Schools (Uncommon) Uncommon Schools
is a nonprofit network of high-performing public schools that are
increasing the academic achievement of historically under-resourced
communities and preparing students for success in college and
beyond. Uncommon currently manages 54 schools serving more than
20,000 students in six cities: Boston, Camden, New York City,
Newark, Rochester, and Troy. We have achieved outstanding academic
results based on internal assessments, statewide exams, and
graduation milestones.Job DescriptionExternal Title: Regional
External Affairs Manager
Internal Title: External Affairs Manager
Location(s): Camden, NJ
Team: Camden Regional External Team
Hiring Start Time: April/May 2020
About the Role
The Regional External Affairs Manager (Manager) will establish and
nurture relationships with key external stakeholders to ensure that
they know, support and protect our schools; and design and execute
on programs and initiatives that deepen the relationships between
the schools and the communities we serve! They will advance our
external-facing communications and initiatives, including school
tour management, website and social media oversight, logistical
support of external events and board meetings, and other
administrative responsibilities for our Camden region. The Manager
will also lead the overall Camden student recruitment strategy,
marketing, and outreach efforts in the region, including management
of the handoff to the regional and school operations teams as
The position will report to the Regional Senior Director of
External Affairs, and will work closely with the Camden regional
operations team, school and regional leaders in Camden, members of
regional teams in other Uncommon regions, as well members of
Uncommon's Home Office teams.
- External Affairs:
- Analyze and navigate the education and political landscape in
Camden and New Jersey.
- Educate community leaders, advocates and elected officials
about our schools through relationship building, school visits,
community events, etc.
- Attend community events regularly.
- Identify and train parent leaders at each of our schools to
engage with elected officials and community leaders, mobilize large
groups of parents for advocacy events and initiatives, and lead
school-based community engagement efforts.
- Lead non-partisan voter registration and get out the vote
campaigns among families, in coordination with schools.
- Run partner database, ensuring data entry and data integrity in
- Handle monthly tour schedule for donors, educators and
- Lead regional website updates, social media, and school
- Execute actions steps for board meeting preparation (e.g.
monthly communications, information gathering, packet creation,
- Student Recruitment and Outreach: support Camden schools in
getting prospective parents to apply, including:
- Lead overall student recruitment, including marketing efforts,
for the region.
- Drive outreach to prospective parents via mailers, canvassing,
and attending enrollment fairs; etc.
- Track progress around all outreach efforts, analyze progress
data, and design plans to adjust to real-time data.
- General administrative support such as logistical support for
events, purchasing and invoicing, scheduling meetings, and taking
- Additional duties and projects as needed and assigned in
support of Camden schools.
- Strong strategic, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and
verbal), outgoing and personable
- Knowledge of the Camden education and local political landscape
- Proficient computer skills with Microsoft Office Suite (Word,
Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), online Google applications, and social
media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
- Standout colleague who is an ambitious "go-getter" with the
ability to lead and motivate others.
- Comfortable with ambiguity, flexible, and able to adapt quickly
to changing priorities, and a sense of humor in the face of
- High sense of urgency; demonstrated ability to successfully
balance multiple projects concurrently; and proactively seeks
feedback to improve.
- Flexible schedule desired given the need to attend morning and
evening meetings, and occasional weekend events.
- Must have access to a personal vehicle to travel to our schools
and community events.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree required;
- Minimum three years of professional experience in organizing,
community engagement or other relevant work with schools and
families in communities similar to those we serve.
- Prior experience planning and running large scale
- Prior experience with grassroots field organizing, including
experience in political or issues campaigns, or leading a field
organizing team a plus.
Additional InformationUncommon Schools offers salaries commensurate
with experience and a very generous benefits and vacation package.
All staff members receive extensive professional development, and
are equipped with a laptop computer and all necessary supplies.
Uncommon believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable
and inclusive organization that enables our students and staff to
thrive. We are committed to building a talented team that reflects
the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. At the
same time, we work to ensure an inclusive community through
creating a space for meaningful dialogue about issues of race and
identity for our staff and students. As an equal opportunity
employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed,
color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital
status, veteran status or disability.
Keywords: Uncommon Schools, Camden , External Affairs Manager, Executive , Camden, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!