Director, External Communications
Company: American Water
Posted on: May 7, 2022
The scope of this role is broad and encompasses media relations,
brand building and management, executive communications,
content-led communications, and employer branding. Role
develops/leads external communications strategy, planning and
execution externally for Homeowner Services Brands. Develops and
implements plans to position Brand(s) as an innovative industry
leader in the home services space leveraging media relations and
other external communication channels. The successful candidate
will be a strong written and verbal storyteller; is able to juggle
multiple assignments; has strong leadership skills and can
effectively operate under tight deadlines.
- Serve as company spokesperson to the media and provide
executive level counsel and support.
- Develops talking points and corresponding media materials,
invitations to the media, media pitching and coaches' senior
leadership team on how to convey key messages effectively when
dealing with the media, community groups or other target
- Develops effective reactive/crisis communications plans and
serves as spokesperson.
- Possess strong understanding of media industry; understand the
traditional press, and harness digital communications platforms
like social media.
- Develop original content to propel the corporate brand
narrative, including, but not limited to press releases, bylines,
media pitches, social posts, paid editorial placements, and
- Create and maintain relationships with key business and trade
media that can lead to increased visibility for the company, its
key initiatives, and campaigns in market.
- Monitors internal/external business developments, as well as
identifies connections between business activities and industry
trends that may pose a threat or benefit to company's
reputation.Education: Bachelor's degree, preferably in Marketing,
Communications, Public Relations, or Journalism, is required.
Advanced degree a plus.
Knowledge/Skills : -Exceptional written and verbal communication
skills with the ability to communicate complex ideas simply and
meaningfully to audiences of diverse backgrounds and education
- Analytical skills to solve problems and find the best way to
convey a message
- Proven ability to manage and complete complex projects in a
timely, cost-effective manner.
- Excellent interpersonal and organization skills, including the
ability to effectively manage multiple priorities and coordinate
with numerous colleagues.
- Ability to work as part of a team and act quickly with minimal
- Comfortable delivering messages through a variety of
- Has a thorough knowledge of strategic communications. Extensive
experience in developing, implementing, and measuring all related
tactics and activities in support of effective integrated
- Displays a thorough knowledge and understanding of the media
and the ability to assess a reporter's focus. Is highly adept at
developing and placing media materials including press releases,
letter to the editor and op-eds.
- Experience using social media to support a company.
- Excellent and efficient working knowledge of PowerPoint, Word,
- Communications professional with a minimum of 10 years relevant
experience is required.
- Experience working directly for or managing public relations,
digital, and creative agencies.
- Media and/or agency experience preferredWork Environment:
Standard work environment
Ability to travel (
Keywords: American Water, Camden , Director, External Communications, Executive , Camden, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!