In Vivo Research Lead - Ocular
Company: Spark Therapeutics
Posted on: April 9, 2021
We were born of innovation, springing from the curiosity,
imagination and dedication of remarkable scientists and healthcare
visionaries. Our shared mission is to challenge the inevitability
of genetic disease by discovering, developing, and delivering
treatments in ways unimaginable - until now. We don't follow
footsteps. We create the path. *Please Note: This position will
have responsibilities at both the Rowan/Camden facility as well as
the Pipersville location.** The Ocular In Vivo Lead will be
responsible for scheduling, training and performing In Vivo studies
to support the Ocular therapeutic area and other therapeutic areas
of the Non-Clinical department, if needed. Additional
responsabilities include but are not limited to:
- Mentor and train In Vivo staff in Ocular procedures.
- Schedule and follow multiple concurrent studies according to
the experimental design.
- Review and ensure compliance with IACUC Protocols/amendments
and EHS procedures.
- Perform IV/IP/SC/ Intravitreal/Subretinal injections in mice,
monitor animal health, collect blood samples, perform
- Perform Electroretinography, OCT and OKR monitoring in injected
- Maintain mouse breeding colonies.
- Perform and oversee technical procedures for animal
- Animal, general supplies and reagent ordering.
- Interact with Ocular scientists and In Vivo Lead and provide
- Work cross-functionally with CNS and Liver and discovery teams
and provide support to other R&D in vivo needs.
Responsibilities % of Time Job Function and Description 40% Oversee
scheduling and execution of Ocular procedures from team members.
Assure IACUC compliance, proper procedure documentation and
maintain accurate record of procedures and provide results/comments
to study directors. 20% Perform and train team members in In Vivo
techniques and animal monitoring according to applicable
regulations in support of the Ocular team and other therapeutic
areas. 20% Provide work assignments to the team on a regular basis.
Review and approve the work performed by other team members. Ensure
work is done in a compliant manner. 20%
- Manage performance. Ensure every team member knows what is
expected of them, what it takes to be successful, and how they are
progressing. Provide team members with continuous and on-going
performance feedback. Hold everyone accountable to achieve results
while demonstrating the Spark Values. Help team members understand
how their work contributes to the overall success of Spark by
periodically reviewing individual objectives to ensure alignment to
corporate and functional objectives, making adjustments if
priorities have shifted.
- Develop team members. Help employees effectively assimilate to
Spark and continually grow through challenging experiences so they
can realize their full potential. Understand your employee's goals,
strengths and motivators. Partner with your employees to identify
areas for development, conduct coaching conversations regularly and
provide guidance on ways to develop through on the job experiential
learning, social networks and development opportunities.
- Foster Spark's Culture, Mission, Vision, and Values: Lead by
example. Create an environment where team members thrive in our
Culture by living our truths, always in compliance with applicable
laws and regulations. Emphasize to employees that "how" they
achieve performance objectives is just as important as "what" they
accomplish. Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in relevant field required; Master's degree,
- Generally has 5+ years of hands on relevant experience with
rodents and managing people.
- Advanced skills on handling, restraining, dosing (IP, IM, and
IV) and performing a variety of procedures on study animals
- Experience with managing transgenic mouse colonies
- Keep accurate records, follow instructions and comply with
- Ability to manage large mouse colonies required.
- Excellent organizational, communication and collaboration
- Keep accurate records, follow instructions and comply with
- Experience with Gene Therapy is a plus.
- Previous experience in team leading is preferred.
- Experience with IACUC is a plus. Key Skills, Abilities, and
- Strong organizational skills.
- Detail oriented
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple programs.
Excellent record keeping.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in training and supervising preferred.
- Experience in managing and working cross-functionally.
Complexity and Problem Solving
- Demonstrate independent problem-solving skills of technical
- Develop solutions to a variety of moderate to complex problems;
Discuss with supervisor and refer to policies/practices for
- Must be comfortable in the fast-paced, biotech start-up
environment and interact with multi-disciplinary research teams at
- Exercise judgment within defined procedures and practices to
determine appropriate action. Internal and External Contacts
- Ocular In Vivo Lead is accountable to the In Vivo Lead and
serves as a key collaborator and peerto the In Vivo Therapeutic
area Research teams.
- Will be in contact with Quality Assurance, Non-Clinical
Operations, Clinical Operations, Pharm/Tox, Discovery, Assay
Validation, R&D Operations, Technical Operations, Regulatory
Affairs Spark Therapeutics is an equal opportunity employer. We do
not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender
identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic
origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis
protected by applicable law. Spark Therapeutics does not accept
unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from
candidates. For the protection of all parties involved in the
recruiting process, resumes will only be accepted from recruiters
if a signed agreement is in place at the inception of the
recruiting effort and authorized for a specified position.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Spark Therapeutics from recruiters do
not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and
Spark Therapeutics and do not obligate Spark Therapeutics to pay
fees if we hire from those resumes. Federal law requires employers
to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with
disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable
accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples
of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the
application process or work procedures, providing documents in an
alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using
specialized equipment. Please reach out to
Accomodations@sparktx.com if you require reasonable
Keywords: Spark Therapeutics, Camden , In Vivo Research Lead - Ocular, Other , Camden, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!