Water Meter Reader - Contract Services Group
Company: American Water
Posted on: November 15, 2021
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is
vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an
environment where differences are embraced and where every person
feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more
successful.With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is
the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded
water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than
7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and
market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services
to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe,
clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to
help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information,
visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook
and LinkedIn.PLEASE NOTE: In order for American Water to evaluate
decisions about new regulations, reintegration, and safe operating
practices, all employees are required to report their vaccination
status.Primary RoleIndependently performs a variety of tasks
related to customer service; meter reading, water metering and
water distribution work. Performance of all duties must adhere and
comply with company safety policies, guidelines and procedures.
After-hours on-call duty may be required.Key Accountabilities
- Read and re-read residential, commercial, and industrial water
meters manually as well as using a Hand Held device following a
- Investigate customer inquiries related to consumption and
- Replace malfunctioning equipment (i.e. stuck meters).
- Performs water service shutoffs and turn-ons.
- Identification of leaks, and properties that may be receiving
service but are not metered.
- Mark locations of underground water mains, distribution lines,
valves, etc. by accurately reading system maps.
- Informs supervisor of any physical changes noticed during field
operations so that system maps can be corrected.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Follows Company Environmental, Health and Safety Policies, and
reports unsafe conditions to supervision
- Able to read various types of water meters.
- Able to use various types of electronic and/or manual recording
and computerized automatic meter reading (AMR) systems.
- Able to prepare and maintain accurate paperwork such as
records, logs, orders, surveys and routine reports as
- Able to communicate effectively will all levels of the
- Able to perform accurate mathematical calculations related to
- Able to plan, schedule, prioritize, and coordinate work within
assigned work area.
- Ability to respond to emergencies.
- Able to use of motorized vehicles and equipment such as trucks,
tamper, portable generators, portable pumps, ditch witch, etc. as
- Able to use of power tools such as saws, compressors, sanders,
grinders, etc. as required.
- Able to use of common hand tools.
- Able to establish effective working relationships with
employees, supervisors, customers and the general public.
- Able to work in a team environment.
- Knowledge of techniques, equipment, facilities, materials,
methods, and procedures used in operations, maintenance,
construction, and mechanical repair of water/wastewater
- Knowledge of plumbing and computer skills as they relate to
uploading/downloading meter reading data, proper sampling
techniques, and reading system maps.
- Knowledge of health and safety regulations.Experience/Education
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED.
- 2 - 5 years of experience in water / wastewater field preferred
or 3+ years' experience in similar industrial field.Travel
- Local travel to various worksites only.Certifications &
- Must possess a valid state (of residence) driver's license.Work
- Must be physically able to work indoor or outdoor work during
seasonal heat and cold or other adverse weather conditions.
- Must be physically able to complete necessary tasks while
wearing an approved respirator as required, as some required work
may have potential for exposure to harmful contaminants,
environments, noise, etc.
- Must be physically able of lifting and/or carrying 80 lbs. or
more on a frequent basis.
- Must be physically able of walking up and down stairs and long
- Must be physically able of carrying, climbing, and working from
- Must be physically able to work in confined space
- Must be physically able to wear a respirator or SCBA as
- Must be physically able to remain alert and attentive to job
requirements and co-workers.Specific Conditions
- May be required to work weekend, holiday and overtime.
- Maintain a neat, clean, professional appearance at all times
while in uniform or during working hours.
- Maintain a courteous manner when speaking to customers and the
- Must be available for Call-Outs.OtherPerformance Measures
- Look for opportunities to improve efficiency and find ways to
save budget expenses.
- No reportable accidents occur within work area of
- No environmental regulation violations.
- No legitimate complaints from co-workers.
- No preventable breakdown of equipment.
- Regular and Punctual attendance.CompetenciesChampions
safetyCollaboratesCultivates innovationCustomer obsessedNimble
learningDrives ResultsJoin American Water...We Keep Life
Flowing---American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment
Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for
employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color,
pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national
origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she
is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other
status protected by federal, state, and local laws.
Keywords: American Water, Camden , Water Meter Reader - Contract Services Group, Other , Camden, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!